Benchmark Federal Credit Union (Benchmark FCU) recently announced a search for their next Chief Executive Officer, based on the planned retirement of its current CEO, David F. LaSala by mid-year 2019. Headquartered in Chester County, Pennsylvania, Benchmark FCU with more than $219M in assets has been serving the financial needs of our members and their families since 1940.
Benchmark FCU is Community Chartered serving all of Chester County, Pennsylvania which allows us to offer the benefits of credit union membership to persons who live, work, worship, or attend school within Chester County, Pennsylvania. We are seeking a leader who will build on Benchmark’s legacy of financial stability and lead opportunities for growth and continued success into the future. Our purpose is to help our members and community prosper. As a not-for-profit financial cooperative, we pour all profits earned back into the institution to secure better rates and services for our well-deserving members.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Management Team
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the chief staff member and Benchmark FCU’s primary representative to members, the local community, and to other associated organizations. We are seeking a leader who will build on Benchmark’s legacy of financial stability and lead opportunities for growth and continued success into the future. The CEO will be responsible for establishing and executing major goals and strategic initiatives, interpreting and implementing policies established by the Board of Directors, and providing leadership, direction, and overall organizational guidance. The ideal candidate will be a visionary and a proven leader possessing excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships, collaborate effectively with others, and can lead organizational change while building consensus.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Plan, develop and direct financial policies and practices of the credit union to ensure that financial goals, objectives and credit union growth are met and in accordance with policies of the Board of Directors, charter and government regulations.
• Partner closely with the Board and senior management team to shape the organization's direction. This includes both the identification and assessment of new strategies and initiatives and planning for the careful utilization of human and financial resources to address changing community needs and priorities.
• Support efforts for ongoing knowledge of technology and product innovations and oversee the implementation of innovations, subject to Board approval. This includes implementing new services and programs consistent with the organization's mission and strategic objectives.
• Oversee the operations of the credit union and manage its’ compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Develop future leadership within the credit union. Promote a culture that reflects the credit union’s mission, vision, purpose and values, encourages excellent performance and rewards productivity.
• Coordinate communication and reporting activities among departments and branch offices to ensure availability of data required for efficient daily operations.
• Recruit and select quality applicants for management vacancies, ensuring that the credit union is adequately staffed with competent employees.
• Conduct management/leadership meetings on a regular basis to ensure the dissemination of information, exchange of ideas, resolution of problems, discussion of trends, etc. Ensure that the information is communicated throughout the credit union.
• Oversee business development activities to promote growth and development of the credit union. Build positive relationships with the field of membership, and with appropriate trade associations and organizations.
• Serve as the primary spokesperson and representative for the credit union. Assure that the credit union, its mission, programs and services are consistently promoted in an effective, encouraging way and in a positive light to its members.
• Develop a highly effective team of employees, developing each employee to her/his highest potential through coaching, leadership, and training.
• Advise, consult, and serve as the Team Leader of the management team in the development and execution of long range plans and budgets based on broad organizational goals, strategic planning, and growth objectives.
• Individually and/or collaboratively provide strategic and/or administrative direction and management in all credit union functions to include: accounting, ALM, business development, compliance, facility management, finance, human resources, investments, lending, marketing, operations, retail services, risk management, and security.
• Manage the day-to-day operation of the credit union and establish office procedures to use staff and facilities most efficiently, to promote products and services, to provide outstanding member service, and to achieve the goals of the credit union.
1. Annual goals and objectives are met.
2. The financial structure of the Credit Union, including the on-going operation of Asset Liability Management system, accounting system, and information systems is adequate and sound.
3. Operating objectives are established, internal and external measurements are in place, corrective measures are taken as needed, and results meet or exceed expectations.
4. Security procedures are understood and adhered to by all staff. Required reports and records are accurate, completed in a timely manner and communicated to all appropriate parties.
5. Staff are appropriately directed, assisted, and supported.
6. Above expectations in business relations with members. Members' problems or questions are courteously and promptly resolved.
7. Above expectations in working relationships and collaboration with officials, management, employees, examiners, and other third parties conducting business with the Credit Union.
8. The Credit Union’s professional reputation is continually improved, maintained, and conveyed.
Ideal/Qualified candidates should possess:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration or closely related field, Master’s Degree a plus.
• Eight (8) to ten (10+) years’ experience as a senior team leader within the financial services industry, preferable within a credit union. Must be and remain bondable.
• Working knowledge of lending, collections, member services, cash operations, accounting, information technology, security, investments, compliance, human resources, and marketing.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the financial services industry with specific knowledge of the credit union movement and philosophy.
• Current or former resident of Chester County, PA or familiarity with the area is preferred.
• The ideal candidate will be a visionary with a motivational leadership style that inspires teams, possesses excellent interpersonal skills, easily builds relationships and collaborates effectively with others.
Benchmark FCU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.